Equilibrium (a.k.a. Cubic) 2002
- Director: Kurt Wimmer
- Cast: Christian Bale, Emily Watson, Sean Bean, Angus MacFaydan, Taye Diggs
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor/actress in:
- Christian Bale: the boy in Branagh’s Henry V, Batman of course
- Emily Watson: Breaking the Waves, Hilary and Jackie, Gosford Park, Wah-Wah, Cradle Will Rock.
- Angus MacFaydan: Lucius in Titus
- Taye Diggs: Rent, Chicago
- Why bought: recommended by friend Kalle
- Seen: once – September 9, 2012
This is an action version of Fahrenheit 451. Both are about future societies in which emotion/culture are forbidden but of course there are people who refuse to comply. Both have cops who start out rigidly loyal to the system but succumb to human nature.
Equilibrium comes no where near my memory of how good Fahrenheit 451 is but I liked it. Christian Bale is not just a pretty face and bod – he’s a pretty good actor (he’s done Shakespeare, after all!) It’s exciting and like most action films it goes too fast to scrutinize the logic but it holds together well enough. Emily Watson and Angus MacFaydan (who also has done Shakespeare) as well as the rest of the cast are good.
It may not be a masterpiece but it’s worth watching. 3 ***of 5.