The Tourist 2010
- Director: Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck
- Based on book: No
- Cast: Johnny Depp, Angelina Jolie, Paul Bettany, Rufus Sewell, Timothy Dalton
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor/actress in:
- Johnny Depp – everything
- Angelina Jolie – The Changeling, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Girl Interrupted
- Paul Bettany – Dogville, Creation, A Beautiful Mind, Young Victoria, A Knight’s Tale
- Rufus Sewell – Hamlet, The Taming of the Shrew Retold, A Knight’s Tale, The Holiday, Paris je t’aime, Cold Comfort Farm, Middlemarch
- Timothy Dalton – Antony and Cleopatra, The Lion in Winter
- Why bought: Johnny Depp
- Seen: Twice. First time January 1, 2011 with friends B-IS and ÖB at the movie theater. Second time: January 27, 2013. And now again, September 12, 2014 (see below)
Any movie with Johnny Depp running across the tiled roofs of Venice barefoot in blue and white striped pajamas has to get 10* out of 10 at least. It’s just the kind of goofy thing gorgeous Johnny does so well.
Most critics seem to regard this movie with contempt but they’re just snobs. Come on! It’s funny, it’s exciting, the cast is great, the scenery is glorious and Julian Fellowes who wrote Downton Abbey is one of the writers. So the story is far-fetched, so what? If there’s anything to criticize it’s Angelina Jolie who is just too beautiful and sexy. Too stereotyped. And Johnny isn’t nearly so appealing when he turns all macho at the end.
But that’s just nitpicking. It’s an appealing movie.
3 ½ * of 5
PS September 12, 2014 - Fun again