Elizabeth – The Golden Age 2007
- Director: Shekhar Kapur
- Based on book: no.
- Cast: Cate Blanchett, Geoffrey Rush, Clive Owen, Samantha Morton, Abbie Cornish, Eddie Redmayne, Adam Godley
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor/actress in:
- Cate Blanchett – Robin Hood, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, I’m Not There, Notes on a Scandal, Babel, Little Fish, The Aviator, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Heaven, The Shipping News, The Gift, The Man Who Cried, Elizabeth
- Geoffrey Rush – Pirates of the Caribbean 1-4, The King’s Speech, Elizabeth, Intolerable Cruelty, Ned Kelly, The Banger Sisters, Frida, Lantana, Shakespeare in Love, Les Miserables, Shine, Twelfth Night
- Clive Owen – Children of Men, Derailed, Closer, King Arthur, The Bourne Identity, Gosford Park, Croupier,
- Samantha Morton – The Libertine, In America, Jane Eyre, Morvern Callar
- Abbey Cornish – Bright Star, A Good Year
- Eddie Redmayne – My Week with Marilyn, Les Miserables
- Adam Godley – Case Histories, Merlin, Son of Rambow, Nanny McPhee, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Love Actually
- Why? Good cast. History. Part two of two
- Seen: Twice. Now: December 14, 2013.
Lavish like the first, but slow. It’s hard to get involved in either the story or the characters.
It’s visually stunning, but boring. The cast is good but the roles they are asked to play are…silly. The romantic vibes between the Queen and the dashing Walter Raleigh don’t convince.
And the title is wrong! The Golden Age came after this period.
The Armada was exciting though. And the film is a beautiful sight.
2 ½ * of 5