1 January 2014

Throne of Blood

Throne of Blood 1957
  • Director: Akira Kurosawa
  • Based on Shakespeare’s Macbeth
  • Cast: Toshiro Mifune, Minoru Chiaki, Isuzu Yamada
  • Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor/actress in:
    • Toshiro Mifune: The Seven Samurai
    • Minoru Chiaki: The Seven Samurai (although truthfully, I didn’t actually recognize them. It’s been a long time since I saw The Seven Samurai)
  • Why? Shakespeare
  • Seen: December 30, 2013

        Sorry, this is simply boring.  Even more galloping and growly shouting than in Ran and after the first half hour it doesn’t even follow Macbeth very much.  The story is minimal and what there is of it drags.  Wars and kings. Ho hum.
             The costumes are cute though. Warriors in polka dotted shorts – seriously! And I always like black and white films.  And Lady Macbeth, called Asaji here, is kind of cool.
             So it’s not a total dud. But almost.  It’s a classic and gets all kinds of stars from real film critics but not from me. So far it’s my least favorite Kurosawa film. I like quite a few of them and I had expected a great film here.  What a disappointment.
       
1 * of 5
      

       

No comments:

Post a Comment