Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl 2003
- Directors: Gore Verbinski
- Based on book: No.
- Cast: Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightly, Jack Davenport, Jonathan Pryce, Mackenzie Crook
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
- Johnny Depp – Nightmare on Elm Street, Platoon, Slow Burn, Cry-Baby, Edward Scissorhands, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, Arizona Dream, Benny and Joon, Ed Wood, Don Juan DeMarco, Dead Man, Nick of Time, Donnie Brasco, The Brave, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Astronaut’s Wife, Sleepy Hollow, The Man Who Cried, Chocolat, Blow, From Hell, Lost in La Mancha, Pirates of the Caribbean (all four of them), Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Secret Window, Finding Neverland, Libertine, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sweeney Todd, The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, Public Enemies, Alice in Wonderland, The Tourist
- Geoffrey Rush – Pirates of the Caribbean 1-4, The King’s Speech, Elizabeth, Elizabeth the Golden Age, Intolerable Cruelty, Ned Kelly, The Banger Sisters, Frida, Lantana, Shakespeare in Love, Les Miserables, Shine, Twelfth Night
- Orlando Bloom – Extras, Kingdom of Heaven, Troy, Lord of the Rings et al, Ned Kelly
- Kiera Knightly – Never Let Me Go, Atonement, Pirates of the Caribbean (the others), Love Actually
- Jack Davenport – the other Pirates, The Boat that Rocked, The Libertine
- Jonathan Pryce – Cranford, The Brothers Grimm, Very Annie Mary, Evita, Glengarry Glen Ross, Brazil, Timon of Athens, Voyage of the Damned
- Mackenzie Crook – Merlin (Cedric, Season 2:1), The Brothers Grimm, Finding Neverland, The Merchant of Venice
- Why? JD. 25th in JD marathon
- Seen: Two or three times before. Now: April 25, 2014
What a silly film. I love it. JD was born to be Captain Jack Sparrow.
It’s exciting and creepy. It’s laugh-out-loud funny. The music is cool. The action is...active. The whole cast is having a wildly good time.
Yes, it’s too long. Yes, it’s confusing at times. And no, the logic doesn’t necessarily hold up. But anyone who doesn’t love this film is just a grouchy old curmudgeon.
As Captain Jack Sparrow replies to “You’re the worst pirate I’ve ever heard of,” spoken by the Commodore: “But you have heard of me.”
By now the whole world has heard of Captain Jack Sparrow. And is a richer world for it.
5 * of 5