Secret Window 2004
- Directors: David Koepp
- Based on book by Stephen King.
- Cast: Johnny Depp, John Turturro, Maria Bello, Timothy Hutton, Charles S. Dutton, Lee Cariou
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
- Johnny Depp – Nightmare on Elm Street, Platoon, Slow Burn, Cry-Baby, Edward Scissorhands, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, Arizona Dream, Benny and Joon, Ed Wood, Don Juan DeMarco, Dead Man, Nick of Time, Donnie Brasco, The Brave, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Astronaut’s Wife, Sleepy Hollow, The Man Who Cried, Chocolat, Blow, From Hell, Lost in La Mancha, Pirates of the Caribbean (all four of them), Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Secret Window, Finding Neverland, Libertine, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sweeney Todd, The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, Public Enemies, Alice in Wonderland, The Tourist
- John Turturro – Miracle at St. Anna, Margot at the Wedding, Flight of the Conchords, Romance & Cigarettes, The Man Who Cried, O Brother Where Art Thou?, Cradle Will Rock, The Big Lebowsky, Clockers, Fearless, Jungle Fever, Barton Fink, Mo’ Better Blues, Miller’s Crossing, Do the Right Thing, Desperately Seeking Susan
- Maria Bello – The Private Lives of Pippa Lee, The Jane Austen Book Club, A History of Violence,
- Timothy Hutton – The Ghost Writer, Sunshine State, Beautiful Girls, Daniel
- Charles S. Dutton – Honeydripper, Homicide Life on the Street, Alien 3
- Lee Cariou – 1408, About Schmidt
- Why? JD. 27th in JD marathon
- Seen: Once before. Now: May 16, 2014
Having seen this once before I’m not going to be surprised by the ending. I was the first time – I’m easily fooled.
Watching lots of close-ups of JD is visually pleasant of course, even if he has blonde streaks in his messy hair and even if he talks a lot to his dog. Dogs are not my favourite film characters.
But they didn’t have to kill it! The film gets a bit scary then, with isolated houses in dark forests, spooky sounds at night, and poor JD all alone.
John Turturro is very nasty with his threats, made in a mean southern drawl.
Houses get burned down, people get murdered, JD gets set up. And then things get absurd. And yucky, to be honest.
For the longest time I was reluctant to buy the DVD and see the film again. I wouldn’t have if we hadn’t decided to do the JD marathon.
I know it’s coming even if I don’t remember the details. Knowing it sort of makes it even worse.
I don’t much like this film. It’s well done and JD is very good. But it’s just too creepy. And I don’t mean in a good way.
2 * of 5