Die Weisse Massai 2005
- Director: Hermine Huntgeburth
- Based on the memoir by Corinne Hofman
- Cast: Nina Hoss, Jacky Ido and many more I know nothing about
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
- Jacky Ido – Inglourious Basterds
- Why? Second film in a double DVD with Ladies in Lavender, which is the one we wanted
- Seen: August 3, 2014
Love at first sight and a jealous boyfriend. The stuff of romance novels. It gets a bit more complicated than that. She’s a blonde European visiting Africa and he’s a Masai.
It’s not as romantic as she (or possibly the viewer) expects but off she goes into a completely alien world in which gender roles are... ah...not quite what she’s used to. But she’s a most intrepid young woman and she doesn’t give up easily.
With a little give and take. Against all odds. Opposites attract. Back to nature, flies and all. Noble savage (handsome, certainly). Culture clash. Ivory and ebony. The clichés hover. Most of all – love conquers all.
Only of course it doesn’t.
It’s a fascinating story and well told. Better than expected.
4 * of 5