25 August 2014

I Am Number Four


I Am Number Four
  • Director: D.J. Caruso
  • Based on novel by Pittacus Lore
  • Cast: Alex Pettyfer, Timothy Olyphant, Teresa Palmer, Dianna Agron, Callan McAuliffe, Kevin Durand, Jake Abel
  • Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
    • Alex Pettyfer – The Butler
    • Timothy Olyphant   A Life Less Ordinary, The First Wives’ Club
    • Teresa Palmer – December Boys
  • Why? Oh why not? It was a quick exciting read on the four-hour train ride home to Stockholm from Malmö a few years back.
  • Seen:  August 22, 2014.
My expectations on this one are not enormous. It will hopefully be OK Friday evening entertainment.
It starts out really bad.  I hate jet skis and the young hero is way too hunky. I hate California teen beach parties. Does the book really start like this? John is too adult and his mentor Henri is too young. And Sarah is far too pretty. And small town American high school films are not my cup of tea (the exception being Roswell).  As so often gender stereotypes abound and irritate.
But enough grumbling. It’s actually quite OK.  I like the concept. Alien kids – who were destined to save their world from destruction (they failed) are hiding out on Earth but are being killed off one by one by the Mogs, the bad aliens. Really bad.
Sensitive youths with strange powers that must be kept secret pop up frequently in films and TV these days. This is far from the best – nowhere near Roswell or Harry Potter or The Hunger Games or Merlin who all get dozens of stars from me – but I do like this stuff. It has many flaws, this one, but it surpasses expectations. I’ve read two more of the books.  I wonder, will they also be filmed?
Probably not worth more than half a star or so but I am indeed entertained.

2 ½ * of 5



No comments:

Post a Comment