Out of Season 1975
- Director: Alan Bridges
- Based on book: no
- Cast: Vanessa Redgrave, Cliff Robertson, Susan George
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor/actress in:
- Vanessa Redgrave – Coriolanus, Atonement, Girl Interrupted, The Cradle Will Rock, Lulu on the Bridge, Smilla’s Sense of Snow, Howards End, The Ballad of the Sad Café, Playing for Time, Prick Up Your Ears, Oh What a Lovely War, Isadora, Camelot
- Cliff Robertson - Spiderman, Charly, old TV series
- Susan George – Straw Dogs
- Why: Vanessa Redgrave
- Seen: 26 July 2015
Islands of the English coast usually offer interesting films. Hotels on such islands especially so.
Ann (Redgrave) and her daughter Joanna (George) run the hotel. They don’t get on well. Into their tension arrives a guest, Joe Tanner (Robertson). Ah. He and Ann knew each other twenty years ago. The memories are… complicated. They obviously still have feelings for each other.
Ann and Joe resume their love affair. Joanna sets out to make trouble, but they’re quite capable of making trouble for themselves. There’s a lot of bitterness and rancour between them. Among all three of them.
It’s hard to see where the film is going. Or let’s say it’s quite predictable but how far will it go and how will it get there?
It’s an odd film about three odd and not very likeable individuals. It’s dramatic in its way and well-acted. But rather unpleasant.
2 ½ * of 5