7 December 2015

My Fair Lady

My Fair Lady 1964
  • Director: George Cukor
  • Based on the play Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw
  • Cast: Audrey Hepburn, Rex Harrison, Stanley Holloway, Wilfrid Hyde-White, Gladys Cooper, Jeremy Brett, Theodore Bikel, Mona Washbourne
  • Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in
    • Audrey Hepburn – Wait until Dark, Charade, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, The Unforgiven, The Nun’s Story, Green Mansions
    • Rex Harrison – Dr Doolittle, The Yellow Rolls Royce, Cleopatra, The Ghost and Mrs Muir
    • Stanley Holloway – Hamlet, Brief Encounter
    • Gladys Cooper – Rebecca and older TV series
    • Theodore Bikel – All in the Family, The Russians Are Coming The Russians Are Coming, I Want to Live, African Queen and many TV series
    • Mona Washbourne – Oh Lucky Man!, The Collector
  • Why? A classic
  • Seen: about a hundred times. Now: 4 December 2015 

The soundtrack to the Broadway play was one of the first ones my parents bought in the 60’s – 50’s? and I promise you, I know the songs by heart.
I love this film. The lyrics, the costumes, the music. Everything.
Except the ending. It should have ended after Eliza sings ‘Without You’ and leaves the room with great dignity. That’s how the play ends.
But, hey, this is a musical. And the 60’s happy love ending and all that.
Never mind. I love it.

7 ½ * of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment