- Director: Danny Boyle
- Based on novel: no
- Cast: Cillian Murphy, Michelle Yeoh, Troy Garity, Rose Byrne, Hiroyuki Sanada, Benedict Wong, Chris Evans, Cliff Curtis, Mark Strong
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in
- Cillian Murphy – The Dark Knight, Transcendence, Inception, Batman Begins, Cold Mountain, Girl with the Pearl Earring, 28 Days Later
- Michelle Yeoh – Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Tomorrow Never Dies
- Rose Byrne – 28 Weeks Later, Troy
- Benedict Wong – Prometheus, Moon, Tristram Shandy, Dirty Pretty Things
- Chris Evans – Scot Pilgrim vs the World
- Cliff Curtis – The Fountain, Whale Rider, Training Day, Blow, Bringing Out the Dead, Once Were Warriors, The Piano
- Mark Strong – Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Robin Hood, Sherlock Holmes, The Young Victoria, Stardust, Sunshine (the other one, with Ralph Fiennes) Fever Pitch
- Why? Sci fi. Danny Boyle
- Seen: 20 November 2015
The sun us dying. Eight astronauts are sent with a bomb to get it started again.
A bit 2001 A Space Odyssey, a bit Silent Running, as bit Solaris, a bit Gravity. Better than all of them.
The dilemma – to try to rescue the previous mission? Or take the chance that this mission will succeed on its own. The survival of the human race is dependent on making the right decision.
The film is surreal, contemplative, slow-moving but quietly suspenseful. The cast are young and appealing. It’s a visceral and existential film, a very human high tech artistic film.
It gets a bit muddled at the end and technical problems with the DVD itself don’t help but it’s visually exciting all the way through.
Danny Boyle is amazing.
4 * of 5