The Island 2005
- Director: Michael Bay
- Based on novel: no
- Cast: Ewan McGregor, Scarlett Johansson, Djimon Hounsou, Sean Bean, Steve Buscemi
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in
- Ewan McGregor – The Impossible, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, The Ghost Writer, Stay, Star Wars I-III, Big Fish, Young Adam, Moulin Rouge, Velvet Goldmine, A Life Less Ordinary, Brassed Off, Trainspotting, Shallow Grave
- Scarlett Johansson – He’s Just Not that into You, The Other Boleyn Girl, In Good Company, A Love Song for Bobby Long, Girl with the Pearl Earring, Lost in Translation
- Djimon Hounsou – The Tempest, Blood Diamond, Gladiator, Amistad
- Sean Bean – The Lord of the Rings trilogy, North Country, Troy, Golden Eye, Equilibrium, Stormy Monday
- Steve Buscemi – Paris je t’aime, The Sopranos, Romance and Cigarettes, Big Fish, Twenty-eight Days, The Big Lebowski, Fargo, Living in Oblivion, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Billy Bathgate, Barton Fink, Miller’s Crossing, Mystery Train
- Why? Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson
- Seen: Once before. Now 24 December 2015
In a highly automated stress-, diet- and emotion-controlled futuristic community where everyone is required to be healthy and happy, the ultimate dream for all of the inmates is to win the Lottery. The prize: to move to the Island.
They have survived the contamination.
Ewan McGregor asks questions and sabotages as many rules as he can. He starts investigating and finds that everything is a lie.
The concept is quite interesting and the film is exciting and funny at times. There isn’t much room for character development but McGregor, Johansson and Buscemi do what they can. They always enhance any film they’re in.
It disintegrates into a less than likely action-chase movie and the gender stereotypes are irritating.
A masterpiece it is not. Flawed? Oh yes. Unlikely? Highly.
2 3/4 * of 5