- Director: Sam Mendes
- Based on book by Ian Fleming (very vaguely)
- Cast: Daniel Craig, Léa Seydoux, Ralph Fiennes, Ben Whishaw, Naomi Harris, Rory Kinnear
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
- Daniel Craig – Skyfall, Defiance, Quantum of Solace, Flashbacks of a Fool, Casino Royale, Infamous, Road to Perdition, Hotel Splendide, Elizabeth
- Léa Seydoux – Robin Hood, Inglourious Basterds,
- Ralph Fiennes – The Invisible Woman, Skyfall, Harry Potter, Coriolanus, The Reader, In Bruges, The Constant Gardener, Maid in Manhattan, Sunshine, The English Patient, Strange Days, Quiz Show, Schindler’s List, Wuthering Heights
- Ben Whishaw – Skyfall, The Hollow Crown – Richard II, The Tempest, Bright Star, Brideshead Revisited, I’m Not There
- Naomie Harris – Skyfall, Small Island, Pirates of the Caribbean, 28 Days Later, White Teeth
- Christopher Waltz – Carnage, Inglourious Basterds,
- Andrew Scott – The Hollow Crown Henry IV Part Two, Longitude, Saving Private Ryan
- Rory Kinnear – Skyfall, The Hollow Crown – Richard II, Quantum of Solace
- Why? All the others
- Seen: 31 December 2015 at the cinema with Hal, B-IS and ÖB
It’s got all the ingredients. Spectacular violent exotic intro, sexy women, cool maverick go-it-alone Bond, ultra-evil villains, car chases.
After Skyfall I’ve been looking forward to this one. Sadly, it doesn’t live up to its emotionally charged predecessor. In fact the first half, though visually exciting, is rather boring. What keeps it interesting is the excellent Q (Whishaw), the best cast actor of the whole long series of films. Harris as Moneypenny and Fiennes as M are also very good.
It picks up a bit in the end so one cares a little about the man behind the Bond façade. But it really is time for James to retire. I hope this is the last one.
Fiennes, Harris and especially Whishaw raise it to
3 * of 5