Strange Days 1995
- Director: Kathryn Bigelow
- Based on book: no
- Cast: Ralph Fiennes, Angela Bassett, Juliette Lewis, Tom Sizemore, Michael Wincott, Vincent D’Onofrio, Glenn Plummer, Richard Edson, William Fichtner, Josef Sommer
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
- Ralph Fiennes – Spectre, The Invisible Woman, Skyfall, Harry Potter, Coriolanus, The Reader, In Bruges, The Constant Gardener, Maid in Manhattan, Sunshine, The English Patient, Strange Days, Quiz Show, Schindler’s List, Wuthering Heights
- Angela Bassett – A as in Akeelah, Sunshine State, Music of the Heart, Contact, What’s Love Got to Do with It, Malcolm X, Boyz n the Hood
- Juliette Lewis – The Darwin Awards, The Basketball Diaries, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, Romeo Is Bleeding
- Tom Sizemore – Pauly Shore Is Dead, Bringing Out the Dead, Saving Private Ryan, Heal, Devil in a Blue Dress, True Romance, Born on the Fourth of July
- Michael Wincott – Le Scaphandre et le papillon, Seraphime Falls, The Assassination of Richard Nixon, Along Came a Spider, Before Night Falls, Alien Resurrection, Dead Man, The Crow, Romeo Is Bleeding, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, The Doors, Born on the Fourth of July
- Vincent D’Onofrio – Men in Black, Feeling Minnesota, Ed Wood, JFK, Full Metal Jacket
- Glenn Plummer – Day after Tomorrow, Speed, Frankie & Johnny
- Richard Edson – Sunshine State, Lulu on the Bridge, Do the Right Thing, Good Morning Vietnam, Platoon, Desperately Seeking Susan
- William Fichtner – Elysium, The Lone Ranger, The Dark Knight, Crash, Equilibrium, The Perfect Storm, Contact, Heat, Malcolm X
- Josef Sommer – Moonlight and Valentino, Hamlet, Witness, Silkwood, Independence Day, Reds, Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- Why? Like it.
- Seen: Twice before. Now 10 January 2016
Ex-cop Lenny has principles. He doesn’t deal in virtual reality snuff films. All other forms of sex and violence, fine. He buys them, he directs them, he arranges them…. And he makes money.
It’s the future. Sort of. Made in 1995 it takes place in 1999. The Millennium is at hand. Meanwhile Lenny loses himself in his virtual memory discs of his lost love as society succumbs to drugs, racism, political assassination. And then a friend is raped and murdered.
It’s rough and raw and romantic. The chaotic frantic pace never lets you catch your breath. Fiennes and Lewis are a long way from M, Voldemort and Becky of Gilbert Grape. It’s over-the-top and feels completely realistic. Some of the dialog is stilted but as a whole the film gets better with every viewing.
4 * of 5