Mamma Mia! 2008
- Director: Phyllida Lloyd
- Based on the songs of ABBA
- Cast: Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Julie Walters, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgård, Christine Baranski, Amanda Seyfried, Dominic Cooper, Philip Michael
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
- Meryl Streep – August Osage County, Into the Woods, Mamma Mia, A Prairie Home Companion, Angels in America, The Hours, Music of the Heart, Marvin’s Room, The Bridges of Madison County, The House of the Spirits, Defending Your Life, Postcards from the Edge, Ironweed, Out of Africa, Sophie’s Choice, Silkwood, The French Lieutenant’s Woman, Kramer vs Kramer, Deer Hunter, Holocaust, Julia
- Pierce Brosnan – The World’s End, The Ghost Writer, Seraphim Falls, Die Another Day, The World Is Not Enough, Tomorrow Never Dies, Dante’s Peak, Mars Attacks, Golden Eye
- Julie Walters – The Hollow Crown Henry IV Parts One and Two, Henry V, Harry Potter 1-8, Becoming Jane, Driving Lessons, Wah-Wah, Calendar Girls, Billy Elliot, Titanic Tow, Intimate Relations, Prick Up Your Ears, Educating Rita
- Colin Firth – Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, the King’s Speech, Genova, The She Found Me, Nanny McPhee, Bridget Jones’s Diary, Love Actually, Girl with Pearl Earring, My Life So Far, Shakespeare in Love, A Thousand Acres, Fever Pitch, The English Patient
- Stellan Skarsgård – Melancholia, Thor, Pirates of the Caribbean, King Arthur, Dogville, The Glass House, Dancer in the Dark, Amistad, Good Will Hunting, Breaking the Waves, Den enfaldige mördaren
- Christine Baranski – The Big Bang Theory, Into the Woods, The Guru, Bulworth, Reversal of Fortune, Playing for Time
- Amanda Seyfried – Les Misérables, Veronica Mars
- Dominic Cooper – Summer in February, Starter for 10, My Week with Marilyn, An Education
- Philip Michael – nothing yet but hopefully soon
- Why? love it
- Seen: 1 April 2016
In the 70’s it was not cool to like ABBA so I had to keep it a secret. In later decades two things happened. I became wise enough not to care what was cool or not and be open about what I like. And ABBA became cool.
How cool is that?
I first saw Mamma Mia! at the cinema with friends and fell in love immediately. Well, almost immediately (see below). OMG Meryl Streep can sing! ‘Dancing Queen’ is so…irresistible! Stellan, Colin and Pierce, what a trio, especially their long-haired versions. Christine Baranski and Philip Michael – hot! And funny. ‘The Winner Takes It All’ – shivers! ‘Take a Chance on Me’ – Julie Walters, I love you!
It’s perfect. Well, almost. Sorry, Amanda Seyfried and Dominic Cooper are just too cutesy for words – oh for actors like Emma Watson and Rubert Grint instead! And the first fifteen minutes are so hysterical I just want to quit.
But after that, I just sit back and enjoy every minute.
6 * of 7