- Director: Nick Moran
- Based on the book by Kevin Lewis
- Cast: Rupert Friend, Natascha McElhone, Ioan Gruffud, Tom Burke, David O’Hara, Jodie Whittaker, Bernard Hill, James Fox, Augustus Prew, Con O’Neill, Shirley Ann Field, Johnny Palmiero
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
- Rupert Friend – The Young Victoria, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, The Libertine
- Natascha McElhone – Ladies in Lavender, The Oher Boleyn Girl, Love’s Labour’s Lost, Surviving Picasso, Cold Lazarus, Karaoke, Absolutely Fabulous
- Ioan Gruffud – Amazing Grace, King Arthur, Very Annie Mary, Great Expectations, Titanic, Wilde
- Tom Burke – The Invisible Woman, Great Expectations, The Libertine
- David O’Hara – Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, Hotel Rwanda, Braveheart
- Jodie Whittaker – Cranford
- Bernard Hill - Wolf Hall, The Lord of the Rings, Valkyria, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Titanic, Shirley Valentine, Henry VI Parts 1, 2 and 3, Richard III, Gandhi, I Claudius
- James Fox - London Spy, Merlin, Sherlock Holmes, Charley and the Chocolate Factory, The Remains of the Day, Isadora
- Augustus Prew – About a Boy
- Con O’Neill – Frank, Wallander
- Shirley Ann Field – My Beautiful Laundromat, Alfie
- Sounded good. Grim but good.
- Seen: 4 June 2016
Screaming, drunken, abusive parents turn young Kevin Lewis into a very problematic foster child. Along the way he meets understanding and supportive adults but bad decisions as a young adult and some more hard knocks lead to even more bad decisions. Crooked partners, booze, pills, lost love, debts, suicide attempt.
And then it ends happily. It’s based on a true story so we have to believe it.
It’s quite good actually.
3 ½ * of 5