28 Days Later 2002
- Director: Danny Boyle
- Based on novel: by no
- Cast: Cillian Murphy, Naomie Harris, Christopher Eccleston, Brendan Gleeson, Megan Burns, Leo Bill
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
- Cillain Murphy – Transcendence, The Dark Knight Rises, Inception, The Dark Knight, Sunshine, Batman Begins, Cold Mountain, Girl with the Pearl Earring
- Naomie Harris – Spectre, Skyfall, Small Island, Pirates of the Caribbean, 28 Days Later, White Teeth
- Christopher Eccleston – Fortitude, Doctor Who, 28 Days Later, The Others, eXistenZ, Elizabeth
- Brendan Gleeson – Edge of Tomorrow, the Harry Potter films, In Bruges, Kingdom of Heaven, The Village, Troy, Cold Mountain, Gangs of New York, Twenty-Eight Days Later, My Life So Far, The Butcher Boy, Michael Collins, Brave Heart, The Snapper
- Megan Burns – Liam
- Leo Bill – Mr Turner, A Long Way Down, Alice in Wonderland, Becoming Jane, Kinky Boots, Vera Drake, Gosford Perk
- Why? cast and director
- Seen: once before. Now 25 November 2016
Danny Boyle can’t be accused of making the same kind of film time after time. I can’t think of any two that are alike. What they have in common is that they’re all good.
In this one animal rights activists release research chimpanzees who have been infected with rage. The quickly ensuing epidemic is quick, violent and deadly. Twenty-eight days later Jim wakes up after a bicycle crash in a deserted hospital in a deserted London.
Society is gone, nearly everyone is dead. There are a few survivors. Some are crazed and diseased and dangerous. Two uninfected, Selena and Mark, rescue him from attack.
We go from the low-key revelations of the horror to sudden attack in which Mark is infected and Selena kills him. ‘You have thirty seconds to kill an infected. Survival is all that matters.’
They set out to survive.
It’s slow-paced with eruptions of violence and suspense. This is a thoughtful, thought-provoking, believable and gripping pandemic thriller. One of the best in its genre.
4 * of 5