Before I Go to Sleep 2014
- Director: Rowan Joffe
- Based on book by S J Watson
- Cast: Nicole Kidman, Colin Firth, Mark Strong, Anne-Marie Duff
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
- Nicole Kidman – The Railway Man, Rabbit Hole, Nine, Australia, Margot at the Wedding, Fur, Cold Mountain, The Human Stain, Dogville, The Hours, Birthday Girl, Moulin Rouge, Eyes Wide Shut, Practical Magic, Billy Barthgate
- Colin Firth – Railway Man, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The King’s Speech, Genova, Then She Found Me, Nanny McPhee, Bridget Jones’s Diary, Love Actually, Girl with Pearl Earring, My Life So Far, Shakespeare in Love, A Thousand Acres, Fever Pitch, The English Patient
- Mark Strong – Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Eagle, Young Victoria, Robin Hood, Flashbacks of a Fool, Stardust, Sunshine, Sunshine (the other one), Fever Pitch
- Anne-Marie Duff – Nowhere Boy, Notes on a Scandal, The Magdalena Sisters
- Why? Nicole Kidman and Colin Firth
- Seen: 16 December 2016
Good title for one who tends to doze off during the Friday evening film. This one ought to keep me awake…
Christine received severe head injuries in a car crash and every morning she wakes up with no memory of her husband, the loving Ben, or their 14-year-old marriage. Or anything else. Every morning is a blank with no memory of anything, including the previous day.
Unknown to Ben a neuropsychologist, Dr Nasch, is trying to treat Christine for her amnesia. He has told her it wasn’t an accident. She was attacked and beaten. The doctor tells her to keep a journal. She does, and in it she writes, ‘Don’t trust Ben,’ though she doesn’t remember why.
We watch as every day flashes of memory come to her – of a friend, Claire, of a child. Ben tells her Claire left her after the accident. That their son died, eight years old.
She remembers the attack but was it Ben? Or Dr Nasch? Which one should she fear? Which one should she love? Is the man she wakes up with every morning even her husband Ben?
It gets quite scary and the acting is good. It’s decent Friday evening fare and I didn’t doze off.
2 ½ * of 5