- Director: Richard Lester
- Based on book: no
- Cast: John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, George Harrison, Eleanor Bron, Victor Spinetti, Leo McKern
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
- John Lennon – A Hard Day’s Night, Let It Be, Magical Mystery Tour, How I Won the War
- Paul McCartney – A Hard Day’s Night, Let It Be, Magical Mystery Tour
- Ringo Starr – Caveman, Candy, A Hard Day’s Night, Let It Be, Magical Mystery Tour
- George Harrison – A Hard Day’s Night, Let It Be, Magical Mystery Tour
- Eleanor Bron – Absolutely Fabulous, Women in Love, Alfie
- Victor Spinetti – Voyage of the Damned, Magical Mystery Tour, A Hard Day’s Night
- Leo McKern – King Lear, The French Lieutenant’s Woman, Our Mutual Friend, A Man for All Seasons, Moll Flanders
- Why? The Beatles
- Seen: 10-15 times. Now: 17 February 2017
The first time I saw this I had just seen the Beatles in concert. August 1965. Yes, I was one of the screaming girls.
Many years ago! Now it’s been a while since seeing it. It’s time. And I am really curious. It’s been a long time since I screamed for the Beatles and I don’t often listen to their music, but occasionally the mood hits me.
It’s such a stupid story. Ringo has been sent a ring by a fan, the sacrificial ring of a quasi-Indian sect. They chase the Beatles round the world together with a mad scientist.
Stupid story or not the Beatles and everyone else are very funny. It’s loaded with details. Don’t even blink! Or you’ll miss something good.
It’s so very British. So very Beatle-y. It’s just an excuse for the Beatles to be the Beatles (or at least the image of the Beatles created at the time) while playing at James Bond with some very good British actors – Eleanor Bron and Leo McKern to name two. And of course to play songs that became classics – ‘You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away’, ‘Ticket to Ride’, ‘I Need You’, and ‘Help!’ of course.
It goes on just a little too long and the gender stereotypes are so 60’s but never mind.
4* of 5