Continuum 2013 (aka I’ll Follow You Down)
- Director: Richie Mehta
- Based on book: no
- Cast: Gillian Anderson, Rufus Sewell, Haley Joel Osment, Victor Garber, Susanna Fournier
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
- Gillian Anderson – The Fall, X-Files, War and Peace, Great Expectations, Tristram Shandy
- Rufus Sewell – The Tourist, The Pillars of the Earth, The Holiday, Paris je t’aime, The Taming of a Shrew, The Knight’s Tale, Hamlet, Cold Comfort Farm, Middlemarch
- Haley Joel Osment – Pay It Forward, The Sixth Sense
- Victor Garber – Stargate Universe, Milk, Legally Blond, Titanic, The First Wives Club, Sleepless in Seattle
- Susanna Fournier – X-Men Days of Future Past
- Why? Gillian Anderson and Rufus Sewell
- Seen: 19 August 2017
Loving father and scientist Gabriel (Sewell) leaves wife Marika (Anderson) and son Erol (Osment when the boy grows up) for a conference, to return soon. He doesn’t. He simply disappears.
Twelve years later, Erol is grown up and a genius. Marika is still mourning. Marika’s father, also a scientist, discovers that Gabriel had found a wormhole to a parallel universe and got stuck there. He asks Erol for help in finding Gabriel and bringing him back. Erol is loath to do it but his mother is falling apart.
So he does.
For being a sci fi film this is low-key intensity about relationships with some interesting moral dilemmas.
The logic is a bit murky - but I suppose wormholes and parallel universes would be - and not completely convincing. But it’s interesting, unspectacularly intelligent and well-acted.
3 * of 5