- Director: James Strong
- Based on a true story
- Cast: David Tennant, Jack O’Connell, Sam Caflin, Melanie Hill, Kate Ashfield
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
- David Tennant – Doctor Who, The Escape Artist, Fright Night, The Decoy Bride, Hamlet, The Catherine Tate Show, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Blackpool, Bright Young Things, Jude, Takin’ Over the Asylum
- Jack O’Connell – This Is England
- Sam Caflin – Their Finest, Huntsman Winter’s War, Hunger Games, Pirates of the Caribbean, Pillars of the Earth
- Melanie Hill – Merlin, Star Dust, From Hell, Crocodile Shoes, Brassed Off, Spender, Auf Wierdersehen Pet
- Kate Ashfield – The Kid, Shaun of the Dead, Late Night Shopping
- Why? David Tennant
- Seen: 27 January 2018
Manchester United is a young fighting football team in the 50’s, coached by Jimmy Murphy (Tennant), hard driving but well liked by the team. He still misses playing. The team wins and wins, the sensation of England and Europe.
Then there’s a bizarre plane crash in Munich.
Jimmy, for unexplained reasons was not with them. He flies to Munich to deal with the dead and mourn with the survivors. Then returns to England to do the impossible. Get together a new team. By Saturday. Manchester United must not die.
In some ways it’s a typical feisty-underdog-team-in-adversity-triumphs but it is rather slow and low keyed and this plus the cast, with David Tennant in the lead, raise it above the genre’s usual sentimental banality.
4* of 5