What We Do in the Shadows 2014
- Director: Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi
- Based on the novel: no
- Cast: Jemaine Clement, Taika Waititi, Jonathan Brugh, Stu Rutherford, Jacki van Beek, Rhys Darby
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
- Jemaine Clement – The BFG, Flight of the Conchords, Eagle vs Shark
- Rhys Darby – The X Files, The Boat that Rocked, The Flight of the Conchords
- Taika Waititi – Eagle vs Shark
- Why? Recommended by FB friend Jessica
- Seen: 7 January 2018
Flight of the Conchords is one of our favourite series and Eagle vs Shark impressed us with its weirdness back when we happened upon it. So, let’s see how weird this is.
It’s a documentary about a secret society in New Zealand. A vampire wakes up, gets out of his coffin, and introduces us to his flatmates as he summons them to a flat meeting. It’s not always conflict-free when four vampires share a flat. For example, one of them hasn’t done the dishes for five years. We learn how each of them became a vampire, and we learn about their individual idiosyncrasies and perversions.
Did you know that there are 60-70 vampires in today’s Wellington? It’s not easy being a vampire in Wellington. What to wear on a night on the town? How to be invited into a nightclub? How to find the right victims, preferably virgins? Some of the victims actually get upset! Even try to escape!
One evening they encounter some werewolves – one of whom is the Conchords’ manager (Darby)! – and trouble could ensue, but they manage to part amiably. This time. I wonder if Brett will show up?
Weird? Oh, yes! Funny? Quite!
It’s just like Flight of the Conchords, only about vampires instead of musicians. And not quite as good. But good!
3 * of 5
PS Brett, sadly, never makes an appearance.