The Holiday 2006
- Director: Nancy Meyers
- Based on the novel: no
- Cast: Cameron Diaz, Jude Law, Kate Winslet, Jack Black, Rufus Sewell, Eli Wallach, Edward Burns, Sarah Parish
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
- Cameron Diaz – In Her Shoes, Gangs of New York, Being John Malkovich, A Life Less Ordinary, My Best Friend’s Wedding, Feeling Minnesota
- Jude Law – Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows, Hugo, Contagion, Repo Men, Sherlock Holmes, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, Sleuth, Breaking and Entering, The Aviator, Closer, Alfie, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Cold Mountain, Road to Perdition, eXistenZ, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Gattaca, Wilde
- Kate Winslet – Contagion, Mildred Pierce, The Reader, Little Children, Romance & Cigarette, Extras, Finding Neverland, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Life of David Gale, Hideous Kinky, Titanic, Hamlet, Jude, Sense and Sensibility
- Jack Black – Be Kind Rewind, Margot at the Wedding, King Kong, School of Rock, High Fidelity, Cradle Will Rock, Mars Attacks, Dead Man Walking, X Files, Tenacious D
- Rufus Sewell – The Tourist, The Pillars of the Earth, Amazing Grace, Paris je t’aime, The Taming of the Shrew Re-told, The Knight’s Tale, Hamlet, Cold Comfort Farm, Middlemarch
- Eli Wallach – The Ghost Writer, The Misfits
- Edward Burns – Saving Private Ryan, She’s the One
- Sarah Parish – The Pillars of the Earth, Merlin, Doctor Who, Much Ado About Nothing Re-told, Blackpool, Kiss Me Kate
- Why? Jude Law
- Seen: Once before. Now 10 February 2018
Romantic comedies are not my cup of tea, but Jude Law is, and Jack Black is good too and I don’t mind Cameron Diaz or Kate Winslet.
London. Daily Telegraph journalist Iris (Winslet) is unhappily and unrequitedly in love with colleague Jasper (Sewell) who gets engaged to another woman at the staff Christmas party.
LA. Trailer film maker Amanda (Diaz) throws out her boyfriend and he points out that that’s what she does, breaks up with boyfriends.
They find each other via internet and emails and switch houses for the Christmas holidays. Charming rustic English cottage. Ultra-modern Hollywood mansion.
Miles (Black), colleague to Amanda’s boyfriend, drops by to pick up something, finds Iris.
Graham (Law), Iris’s brother, shows up drunk, at sister’s cottage, finds Amanda.
Surprise, surprise, things happen.
It’s just a romantic comedy. But Jude Law makes it worth watching. And the quick little Dustin Hoffman cameo gives it a little boost.
3* of 5