- Directors: Oliver Parker, Barnaby Thompson
- Based on the book: no
- Cast: Talulah Riley, David Tennant, Rupert Everett, Colin Firth, Jodie Whittaker, Gemma Arterton, Celia Imrie, Toby Jones
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
- Talulah Riley – The Liability, The Boat that Rocked, Doctor Who
- David Tennant – Broadchurch, Doctor Who, The Escape Artist, Fright Night, The Decoy Bride, Hamlet, United, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Blackpool, Bright Young Things, Jude, Takin’ over the Asylum
- Rupert Everett – Stardust, To Kill a King, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Shakespeare in Love, The Madness of King George, Dance with a Stranger
- Colin Firth - The Railway Man, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The King’s Speech, Genova, Mamma Mia, Genius, Then She Found Me, Nanny McPhee, Love Actually, Girl with a Pearl Earring, Bridget Jones’s Diary, Black Adder, My Life So Far, Shakespeare in Love, A Thousand Acres, Fever Pitch, Circle of Friends
- Jodie Whittaker – Doctor Who (30 seconds so far!), Broadchurch, Adult Life Skills, The Kid, Cranford
- Gemma Arterton – Their Finest, The Girl with All the Gifts, A Song for Marion, The Boat that Rocked, Quantum of Solace, Lost in Austin
- Celie Imrie – Vicious, Hotel Marigold 1 & 2, The Love Punch, Doctor Who, Cranford, Nanny McPhee, Wah-Wah, Calendar Girls, Daniel Deronda, Bridget Jones’s Diary, Hilary and Jackie, In the Bleak Midwinter, Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, Upstairs Downstairs
- Toby Jones – Sherlock, The Hunger Games, My Week with Marilyn, Soldier Sailor Tinker Spy, Doctor Who, Creation, Frost/Nixon, The Mist, Amazing Grace, Infamous, Mrs Henderson Presents, Finding Neverland, Ladies in Lavender, Hotel Splendide, Harry Potter, Ever After, Les Misérables, Naked, Orlando
- Why? David Tennant
- Seen: 9 March 2018
The title Kick Ass Girls 2 is dreadful. The DVD cover looks appallingly silly but what a cast! With DT, CF, JW, GA et al it really has got to be good. Right?
A pirate ship? 1589? Wha’?! Tennant as evil misogynist Lord Pomfrey??
Ah, Kick Ass Girls is not the real title! It’s St Trinians 2 The Legend of Fritton’s Gold.
A girls’ school. Now. Cliques galore. Punks. Spice Girls lookalikes. Heavy metal vamp and her school girl groupies. Posh totties. Meditating flower children. Eco. Bookworms. Goths.
Then someone is caught on the cameras sneaking into the library (‘I didn’t know we had a library’). One of the ecos has been offered lots of money to fetch a hidden ring. With that one can buy wind mills to power the schools. Or lots of Gucci bags.
Enter evil Sir Piers Pomfrey (Tennant again), a publicly beloved philanthropist who hangs out with Bono, the queen, Obama, but heads a secret brotherhood devoted to the oppression of women. And he doesn’t take kindly to the girls demanding £100 000 to fetch the ring which has the clue to the treasure.
So it’s a bling hunt. Pomfrey and his goons want the bling. The girls want the bling. And the girls have everything under control. Or so they think.
It has about the intellectual level of HELP! It is at least as much fun and the music is almost as good.
I love watching great actors enjoying making fools of themselves. All the Shakespeare bits raise the whole rating a star. Spoiler! Did you know that Shakespeare was really a girl?
4 * of 5