Our Kind of Traitor 2016
- Director: Susannah White
- Based on novel by John Le Carré
- Cast: Ewan Macgregor, Naomie Harris, Stellan Skarsgård, Damien Lewis
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in
- Ewan Macgregor – American Pastoral, Mortdecai, August Osage County, The Impossible, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, Perfect Sense, The Ghost Writer, The Island, Star Wars, Big Fish, Young Adam, Moulin Rouge, Little Voice, Velvet Goldmine, A Life Less Ordinary, Brassed Off, Trainspotting, Shallow Grave
- Naomie Harris – Spectre, Skyfall, Small Islands, Pirates of the Caribbean, Tristram Shandy, 28 Days Later
- Stellan Skarsgård – Frankie & Alice, River, Cinderella, The Railway Man, Melancholia, Thor, Mamma Mia, Pirates of the Caribbean, Dogville, The Glass House, Dancer in the Dark, Amistad, Good Will Hunting, Breaking the Waves, Hamlet Prins av Danmark, Den enfaldige mördaren
- Damien Lewis – Wolf Hall, Much Ado about Nothing Retold
- Why? Good cast.
- Seen: 13 April 2018
Tinker Tailor was a good book and a good movie. I don’t know why I think so because I don’t like spy stories.
University poetry professor Perry (Macgregor) and barrister Gail (Harris) are in Marrakesh to try to put their shaky marriage back together. They are drawn into the world of Russian mafia by the vulgar aggressively friendly Dima (Skarsgård) who enlists their help in smuggling information to the British authorities and helping bring his family to safety.
Like with Tinker Tailor I don’t know what’s going on half the time. The mafia spy stuff is boring and it’s hard to see the difference between the good guys and the bad guys. The story isn’t completely convincing but it’s interesting to see how two civilian bystanders are drawn into all this and it’s quite suspenseful. Not too bad for a spy thriller. The good cast helps.
3 * of 5