- Director: Joe Wright
- Based on book: no
- Cast: Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, Cate Blanchett, Michelle Dockery, Jessica Barden, Olivia Williams, Jason Flemying, Tom Hollander
- Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
- Saoirse Ronan – Atonement
- Eric Bana – The Time Traveller’s Wife, The Other Boleyn Girl, Troy
- Cate Blanchett – Cinderella, The Hobbit et al, Robin Hood, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Elizabeth the Golden Age, I’m Not There, Hot Fuzz, Notes on a Scandal, Babel, Little Fish, The Aviator, Lord of the Rings et al, The Shipping News, The Gift, The Man Who Cried, Elizabeth
- Michelle Dockery – Downton Abbey, The Hollow Crown
- Olivia Williams – The Ghost Writer, An Education, Tara Road, To Kill a King, Born Romantic, Rushmore
- Jessica Barden – Far from the Madding Crowd
- Jason Flemyng – The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Stardust, From Hell, Rob Roy
- Tom Hollander – About Time, In the Loop, Valkyria, Elizabeth the Golden Age, Pirates of the Caribbean, A Good Year, The Darwin Awards, The Libertine, Gosford Park, Absolutely Fabulous
- Why? Liked it the first time
- Seen: Once before. Now 13 August 2017
Hanna is a young girl being raised by her father in an isolated cabin in the Arctic woods. He teachers her to hunt, defend herself against surprise attacks, speak many languages, fight and kill. She says she is ready to leave and assume her new identity.
When she leaves the hunt will begin. Marissa Wiegler will try to kill her. The father, Erik Heller, is a rogue spy. Wiegler is the head of the CIA.
Erik leaves first. Soldiers attack the cabin. Hanna is captured and brought in for interrogation. She asks for Marissa Wiegler.
That’s where Hanna’s training in violence, stealth and fast thinking takes over.
It’s exciting, futuristic, mysterious, handsomely filmed. Hanna is exceptionally well-played by young Ronan with a fascinating supporting cast. Especially good is Jessica Barden as the cheeky precocious Sophie.
This is a most unusual spy film. James Bond, eat your heart out.
4 * of 5